Monday, March 28, 2011

Road Respect

Coming home from work today I came to an intersection where I needed to turn onto a fairly busy, 4-lane road. At the intersection there was a wide pedestrian crosswalk and two young girls waiting patiently to get across. Directly in front of me (the only car between me and the crosswalk) was a police car. As traffic approached the crosswalk from the left, one then another then another car sped right on past the girls, in clear view of the cop. I counted 12 cars go by without a reaction by the cop car in front of me. Do you wonder why the Belgian drivers would do such a dumb thing, taking such a crazy chance of a serious fine and just being damned rude and impolite? Simple answer in the form of a question: care to guess which car was the 13th to hurry across that pedestrian crossing, right in front of the girls? You guessed it.
The simple fact of the matter, as I see it, is this: put a Belgian behind the wheel - even a cop - and respect is simply a word that doesn't exist, not to be found in either the French or the Flemish dictionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment