Friday, April 16, 2010

(In)Famous Amsterdam


Every large city in Europe is associated with a famous site or two. I say London, you think of Big Ben. I say Rome, you dream of St. Peter's and the Roman Forum. Think of Paris and you instantly have a mental picture of the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe.
So, what about Amsterdam, the largest city in the Netherlands? I just got back from a business trip there and had a chance to visit the city for the third time. This is not your typical tourist's Europe, I think that's safe to say. The "coffee houses" are well-known to certain younger folks and the red light district (which is blocks long, or so I heard from a friend. Really!) is featured on every city tour. Some of the shops are, well, almost beyond description. You be the judge.
I guess it's better to be famous for something, even if it's this, than to be famous for nothing. I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment