Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Bikes, Not Dikes


In fairness to Holland and Amsterdam (see the post below, from a few days ago), they do have some very obvious redeeming qualities. When we think of Holland, the first thought that often comes to mind is dikes. For me, it's bikes. With the possible exception of Copenhagen, nowhere have I ever seen as many bikes as in Amsterdam. What the car is to L.A., the bike is to this city. And please note, these are not your fancy-schmancy, 35-speed, American mountain-desert-ocean bikes, capable of reaching speeds of Mach 3. Every one seems to be a 1-speed, 1-color, 1-seat, no-frills, basic Dutchorama, which makes a Schwinn look like a Harley.
But there are exceptions: what is the highest number of children you've ever seen on a bike with a parent? For me, I think it might possibly be two, but one is the more obvious answer. Not in Amsterdam. Try four! Yup - that's what I saw on a small street running beside one of the 3,578 canals in this city. Three in a Kiddie-Box up front, and one in a more traditional behind-the-mom perch in the back. I saw no bruises or scars on the faces of the kids, so I have to assume it all works out. All I can say is, better she than me!

No comments:

Post a Comment