Sunday, October 24, 2010

First Trip to Athens





As is so often the case, the weather gods (Sunnyos and Almostas Cloudlos) were on my side during a business trip to Athens this week. Once the daily work ended around 5, I put on walking shoes and hit the uneven, rocky streets, to see the sights. On Friday I covered about 6 miles in 3 hours but, as you can see, it was well worth it.
It was interesting to see that the city's stray dogs all have collars and are totally well-mannered, never approaching you, begging for food, etc. Better than humans in some cities.
The food was very good, although I'd advise the Greeks to pay a visit to Belgium see how French fries are supposed to be prepared. Apparently wanting to live up to the name "Greece," in Athens the cooks plop the fries into semi-hot oil for a minute or two, then throw them directly onto your plate, still swimming in grease and oil. If you could somehow wring them out before eating, it might be fine. But I think there's no comparison between fries in Greece and nearly everywhere else on the planet. I think they'd be better off sticking to souvlaki and Ouzo.

No comments:

Post a Comment