Tuesday, August 4, 2009

First Impressions From The Last Visit...

I just got back from a brief trip home to the U.S., my first in almost exactly a year. It was fun for me to notice exactly what I noticed - what things immediately caught my attention, that I was able to compare-and-contrast with Belgium. So, in no particular order, here are those first impressions:
1. vehicles: God, how how we love our vans, SUVs, and other big, gas-guzzling vehicles! I made a random count along Rte 97 and, out of 200 vehicles, 102 were vans, pick-ups, or SUVs. Each probably averaging all of 15-20 MPG. Sadly, we still don't get it. In Belgium, for every 200 vehicles, maybe 15 would be in that category.
2. large people: just like large cars, we have loads of them. Once in awhile you will see a very overweight Belgian, but it's almost an oddity. Not quite the case in Maryland, to put it nicely...
3. no weird yield-to-the-right rules: thank God! This is one area where the U.S. has its act together and Europe really should take a lesson. Anyone who has driven in residential areas in this part of Europe knows what I'm talking about: having to slam on the brakes for a car entering the road from the right, even if you're on a wide thoroughfare and he's coming in from something just bigger than an alley, the right of way is all his. I would estimate that well over 50% of all crashes are the result of this ridiculous rule. Someone will have to explain the logic behind it to me someday.
4. breakfast restaurants: if you stay at a small hotel almost anywhere in Europe, breakfast is included in the price, which is great, as is the food. But stay at a larger, more expensive hotel, and you're on your own. Good luck finding any place outside that hotel to get anything close to a full breakfast. Obviously, not a problem back home.
5. bumper stickers: though they're not nearly as popular as they were, say, 30 years ago, you still see a fair amount in the States. I counted over 30 Obama stickers. Not a single McCain. No comment. But here in Belgium, no clever bon mots or witty phrases. I guess cars are for the business of travel over here, not at all for anything like pleasure.
6. lawyer ads on TV: no such thing in Europe. What a concept! How do they survive here without them? Very nicely, thank you.
7. general politeness: face it, we Americans can be crude, culture-less, and hung up on creature comforts and shopping. But we are nice. To friends, strangers, customers, whomever. It's just part of our culture, I think. Over here, well, they just have a very different culture. There is no expectation of politeness, even among store clerks or restaurant staffs; I guess there's just no history of it. Granted, this is a gross over-simplification without any backing data, but it certainly caught my immediate attention when I was back in the States. From the young kid in the WalMart to the waiter at Chevy's (I admit it: I did Mexican almost every day!) to the check-in lady at Dulles Airport to the maid in the hotel.
Bottom line: no two countries or continents are alike; each has its strengths, weaknesses, blemishes, beauties, foibles, and quirks. I love Europe and all the exciting new things to experience and see. But it will never be home-sweet-home.

No comments:

Post a Comment