Sunday, May 24, 2009

Apocalypse Pretty Soon




I don't want to sound like an alarmist here, and there is always a chance I'm wrong, but I think the end of the world is near. Something is definitely not right and all I need to do is look out the window to prove it.
Belgium is famous for 3 things: phenomenal chocolate, remarkable beer, and weather so bad that folks in Seattle compare forecasts with ours and run right out to buy new bathing suits and beach towels. In December.
So here's the current situation: this spring has been nothing short of near-perfect. Sunny and warm; warm and sunny. What is this, Brussels or Barbados? I just checked the daily weather for our area for the past two months. On just a single day did we get over a quarter inch or rain. Only 7 of the past 40 days have had even traces of precipitation. This weekend, like most of the past 6 or 7, has been outstanding. I spent a couple of hours lying on our trampoline (great exercise, right?), reading in the sun. I already have a fairly nice tan. No one back home is going to believe I really live in Belgium. I took a couple pictures of our front yard, just to prove we're really here.
So, as you can see, something is definitely amiss in the universe and, if I were a betting man, I'd put 20 Euros on a bet that the world will end sometime within the next month or so. But if it stays sunny til then, who cares?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment